Published on January 13th, 2020 | by Subhash Nair0
Land Rover Defender (Prototype) Brought to Sg Motor Show
One of the most exciting launches in Land Rover history, the all-new Defender, happened late last year at Frankfurt. It wasn’t surprising that many were excited to see the vehicle come to the 2020 Singapore Motor Show. However, at the stand was not a production vehicle but a prototype of the Defender.
Sure it looked like the real thing from some angles, but it also sat in the uncanny valley between concept car and showroom car. The car they showed was the Defender 110 “First Edition” prototype.
From the exterior it’s just the glass that looks too heavily tinted for the road. But inside, there was something about the construction that didn’t seem right. Perhaps this was intentional and will translate directly to the end product.
Neither the booth nor the Land Rover Singapore website have posted what specifications will be available when the car actually comes to the island nation. Doubtless JLR will bring this to Malaysia sometime in 2020 as a CBU model.
Here’s a reminder of its options and features for both the 3-door ’90’ and 5-door ‘110’ Defender.
- Side opening tailgate
- Full-sized spare wheel
- optional sliding panoramic sunroof (‘110’)
- optional folding fabric roof (’90’)
- alpine lights.
- Cabin walkthrough, or jumpseat (’90’)
- Front centre console with optional fridge (‘110’)
- 5-6 seats (’90’)
- Up to 7 seats (‘110’)
Engine & Performance
- 2.0L D240 AWD Auto (0-100km/h in 9.1s, 188km/h max) 237bhp
- 2.0L D200 AWD Auto (0-100km/h in 10.3s, 175km/h max) 197bhp
- 2.0L P300 AWD Auto (0-100km/h in 8.1s, 191km/h max)
- 3.0L P400 AWD Auto (0-100km/h in 6.1s, 208km/h max)
- MHEV option available
- 8-speed automatic standard, twin speed transfer case with low range ratios
- Terrain Response 2
- Wade programme
- 900mm wading depth
Wheels & Tyres
- 18″ White steel variant optional
- 815mm all season, optional off-road tyres
- Full sized spare wheel
- Canvas-inspired textile on certain parts
- Rubber flooring with checkered pattern
- OTA, Machine learning infotainment system
- Clearsight ground view
- Clearsight side-view mirror
- Wireless phone charging
- Meridian sound system
- Heads up display
- Cabin air ionisation
- Heated seat on all three rows
- Blind Spot Assist
- Adaptive cruise control
- 3D view perspective for parking
- Activity Key now as full key
- Matrix LED headlights with adaptive driving beam
- 90: estimated GBP 35,000 – 40,000
- 110: GBP 45,000 – 78,000