Published on August 18th, 2020 | by Subhash Nair0
All-New Mahindra Thar Could be an Alternative to the Jimny
Malaysian off-roading enthusiasts have been starved of simple, affordable options to go off the beaten trail for years now. Simpler 4X4s like the Defender used to cost well into the 6-figures, the Pajero, Land Cruiser and even the Fortuner aren’t exactly cheap either. And the one vehicle that OUGHT to be cheap to buy, the Suzuki Jimny, is being offered at nearly RM200,000 by grey market dealers. What they need is something that’s basic and without a legacy to prop its value up.
That’s where this all-new Mahindra Thar comes in. If it looks like the Jeep Wrangler to you, you’re not mistaken. Mahindra has rights to the pre-Wrangler CJ Jeeps, but this looks to be more akin to the TJ Wrangler. Even the interior seems to mirror the TJ Wrangler. We’re not 100% sure if this is a licensed copy or if it is just taking heavy inspiration. We’re also not sure of what the price will be, but we’re sure Mahindra can undercut the Suzuki Jimny.
Speaking of the Jimny, some off-roading comparisons can be made here. The Mahindra Thar has much better water fording capabilities as well as a better approach angle. That being said, the Jimny has better breakover and departure angles.
In terms of engine options, there’s a 2.0L petrol and 2.2L turbo diesel on offer, with either a 6-speed manual and 6-speed conventional automatic available. Both offer a low-range mode for rock crawling.
While it looks like a retro off-roader, there are some modern touches here. A nice 7″ infotainment unit with Android Auto and Apple Carplay is available and the cabin is IP54 water and dust resistant. The infotainment unit is capable of displaying information such as tyre pressure, a digital compass, pitch and roll angle, a gear indicator, as well as a wheel angle indicator.
Here’s the press release with more.
About the All-New Thar
Evolution of an Iconic Design
The All-New Thar stays true to the iconic 2-door silhouette but adds purposeful and contemporary touches and design elements to it. With a wider, better-balanced stance and a choice of hard top and convertible roof top options, the All-New Thar imposes its presence wherever it goes.
This design approach flows into the interiors as well. While retaining the commanding driving position that is an integral part of the Thar’s DNA, the All-New Thar has a completely redesigned interior that mirrors the robust, retro-styled cues of the Thar’s exteriors.
- Iconic Design
- LED Daytime Running Lamps
- Dual Tone Bumpers
- LED Tail Lamps
- 45.72 cm (R18) Deep Silver Alloy Wheels
- Choice of Three Roof Options: a Hard Top, First-in-Class Manual Convertible Top & a Fixed Soft Top
- Front Fog Lamps
- All-New Purposeful Interiors with an All-Black theme with Silver Accents
- Faux carbon-fibre detailing around the AC vents & centre bezel
The All-New Thar is powered by two all-new engines which set new standards in terms of performance, refinement and reliability. A first for Thar and Mahindra, the All-New Thar is powered by the 2.0L mStallion TGDi petrol engine, and by the 2.2L mHawk Diesel engine. These engines are offered with a choice of 6-speed manual transmission or 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission, with an authentic 4×4 manual shift transfer case with a low ratio.
- All-New mStallion TGDi Petrol Engine producing 150 bhp of power & 320 Nm of torque
- All-New mHawk CRDe Diesel Engine producing 130 bhp of power & 320 Nm of torque
- 6-Speed Manual Transmission & 6-Speed Automatic Transmission options
- Shift-on-the-Fly 4×4 Manual Shift Transfer Case with Low Crawl Ratio
Legendary Off-Road Capability and Refined On-Road Driving Experience
Rough trips demand tough vehicles. That’s why the All-New Thar has been built on a rugged 3rd Generation chassis and tested extensively in some of the harshest terrain in India and across the world. It has an all-new suspension setup that delivers the impossible: better off-roading capability, as well as superior on-road handling and drive quality. The All-New Thar is also equipped with advanced off-road hardware that seriously improves its capability to go wherever and do whatever the driver demands of it.
- Authentic Body-on-Frame Construction- A True SUV
- Independent Front Suspension & Multi-Link Rear Suspension set-up
- Shift-on-the-Fly 4×4 Manual Shift Transfer Case with Low Ratio
- Mechanical Locking Differential on the Rear Axle
- First-in-Class Brake Locking Differential
- Class-leading approach (41.8 deg), departure (36.8 deg) & ramp over (27 deg) angles
- Ground clearance of 226mm in unladen condition
- Water wading depth of 650mm
- All-Terrain Tyres 255/65 R18, with White Lettering: The Largest Tyre in its Class
- First-in-Class Electromechanical Driveline Disconnect
Everyday Comfort & Convenience Features
The All-New Thar has been designed to provide amazing comfort & convenience in all driving conditions, be they off-road, on the highway or in the city. Special focus has been given to making the interior design as ergonomic as possible for all passengers, not just the driver.
- Sporty Front Seats
- Front-Facing Rear Seats with 50:50 split
- Roof mounted speakers
- Height Adjustable Driver Seat with Adjustable Lumbar Support
- One-Touch Tip & Slide Mechanism on the Co-Driver Seat
- Tilt Adjustable Steering Wheel
- Power Windows
- Electrically Adjustable ORVMs
- Central Locking with Remote Flip Key
Loaded with Technology
Keeping in mind the sporty and adventurous lifestyle of its owners, the All-New Thar is loaded with technology that keeps drivers connected with the Thar, their surroundings and friends no matter where they are, through multiple first-in-class features.
- 18 cm Touchscreen Infotainment System with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, USB, Navigation
- First-in-Class Adventure Statistics Display on the Infotainment System
- First-in-Class Adventure Connect: Mahindra Adventure Calendar Display
- First-in-Class Smart Watch & Phone Connectivity with Blue Sense App
- TFT Multi Information Display in the Instrument Cluster
- Electronic HVAC Controls
- Drizzle resistant (IP54 Standard) dashboard switches
- First-in-Class Tyretronics: Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
- First-in-Class Tyre Direction Monitoring System
- Cruise Control
- Steering Mounted Audio & Phone Controls
Excellent Safety Standards
While exploring the impossible, it’s best to stay as safe as possible. That’s why the All-New Thar is equipped with a excellent range of active & passive safety features to keep all passengers secure and out of harm’s way.
- Crash-safety compliant bodyshell
- First-in-Class ESP with Rollover Mitigation
- First-in-Class Built-in Roll-cage with 3-Point Seat belts for all passengers
- Dual Airbags & ABS
- First-in-Class Hill Hold & Hill Descent Control
- First-in-Class ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts
- Intellipark: Rear Parking Sensors