Published on September 22nd, 2023 | by Subhash Nair0
All-New NIO EC6 Electric SUV Coupé Debuts In China From Around RM184K Without The Battery
The NIO EC6 returns for a second generation on the NT2.0 Platform.
Most Malaysians are probably unfamiliar with the NIO brand, but it’s certainly making waves in China and is mentioned in the same breath as Xpeng for being relatively new and having European export ambitions. The news this month is that the brand has launched an all-new second generation EC6. This is an electric SUV Coupé that measures 4,849 mm long, 1,995 mm wide, and 1,697 mm high with a wheelbase of 2,915 mm. In China, its price starts at RMB358,000.
The NIO EC6 comes with a dual motor all-wheel drive system as standard. The total power output is 360kW and 700Nm of torque, which allows it to accelerate from 0-100km/h in just 4.4 seconds. Stopping power is provided by high-performance aluminium alloy 4-piston fixed calipers on the front with 355mm brake discs. Here’s the pricing details for the Chinese market:
- 75 kWh battery – RMB358,000 (RM229,770)
- 100 kWh battery – RMB416,000 (RM266,877)
Without a battery back, the EC6 is just RMB288,000 but that will require a ‘Battery as a Service’ monthly subscription.
Compared to the outgoing NIO EC6, the new model is built on the new NT2.0 platform and sports an updated “Design for AD” design language. Thanks to the revised shape and a new Dual-Mode Active Spoiler, its drag coefficient has been reduced to just 0.24Cd.
Here are the highlights of the second generation EC6:
- split ‘double-dash’ daytime running lights with 30mm ultra wide crystal and without a black bezel
- A 1,353mm long and 196mm wide dual-mode active spoiler
- 9 colour choices including AR Lavender
- 4 interior themes: Onyx Black, Red Loam, Stream Blue and Stellar Gray
- A 1.77 square meter panoramic sunroof with 3rd gen electrochromic technology
The interior is a major step up in the EC6. It’s designed as a ‘Second Living Room’ and comes with the following innovations and features:
- invisible smart air vents
- tone-to-tone deco strips with soft glass
- rattan interior decor
- acoustic fabric
- Lounge seats with spine support, 18-way power adjustment
- 22 storage compartments
- 7 hooks
- 594L boot (expandable to 1,402L)
- 89L of multi layered hidden storage
- PanoCinema Augmented Reality mega screen (equivalent to 201″ screen)
- 7.1.4 Surround Sound system
The new chassis features lots of aluminium alloy and high-strength steel to reduce weight while maintaining superior safety for the occupants and battery pack. It also has achieved a 50:50 weight distribution with a 580mm centre of gravity. Suspension comes in the form of all-round 5-link suspension. Intelligent Chassis Domain Controller, Continuous Damping Control, and Intelligent Smooth Stop (ISS) are standard on the car).